Midway II CVE-63 - History

Midway II CVE-63 - History

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Midway II
(CVE-63: dp. 7,800; 1. 512'3"; b. 65'; e~v. 108'1"; dr. 22'6"; s. 19 k.; cpl. 860 a. 1 5", 16 40mm.; cl. Casablanca)

The second Midway (CV~63) was laid down as Ct~apin Bay 23 January 1943 renamed Midway 3 April 1943 Launched 17 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Howard Nixon Culter; and commissioned 23 October 1943, Capt. F. J. McKenna in command.

After shakedown on the West coast and two voyages to Pearl Harbor and one to Australia carrying replacement aircraft,Midway joined Rear Admiral Bogan's Carrier Support Group 1 in June for the conquest of the Marinas. She furnished air coverage for transports and participated in strikes on Saipan 15 June. She fought off several air attacks, but suffered no damage during her support of the Saipan campaign. On 13 July she sailed for Eniwetok for replenishment, before joining the attack on Tinian 23 July.furnishing air support for ground forces on the island and maintaining an antisubmarine patrol, Midway operated off Tinian until she again headed out for supplies 28 July.

Midway remained at anchor in Eniwetok Atoll until she got underway ~ August, for Manus Island, arriving 13 August. Exactly a month later, she sortied with TF 77 for the invasion of Morotai. Catapulting her first plane to support the landings 11th September, she continued to assist American troops ashore and to provide cover for the transports through the 23d.

After a refueling period, Midway resumed air operations in the Palaus until returning to Seadler Harbor 3 October. There, word arrived that the escort carrier had been renamed St. Lo, 10 October to free the name Midway for a new giant attack carrier and to commemorate an Important victory of American troops in France who had captured the strongly defended town, St. Lo, 18 July 1944.

St. Lo departed Seadler Harbor 12 October to participate in the liberation of Leyte. Ordered to provide air coverage and close air support during the bombardment and amphibious landings, she arrived off Leyte 17 October. After furnishing air support during landings by Ranger units on Dinagat and Homonhon Islands in the eastern approaches to Leyte Gulf, she launched air strikes in support of invasion operations at Tacloban on the northeast coast of I,Leyte. Operating with Rear Adm. C. A. Spragues escort carrier unit, "Taffy 3" (TU-77.4.3), which consisted of six escort carriers and a screen of three destroyers and four destroyer escorts,St.Lo steamed off the east coasts of Leyte and Samar as her planes sortied from 18 to 24 October, destroying enemy installation and airfields on Leyte, Samar, Cebu, Negros, and Pansy Islands.

Steaming about 60 miles east of Samar before dawn 25 October, "Taffy 3" launched the day's initial air strikes. At 0647 Rear Admiral Sprague received word that a large Japanese fleet was approaching from the northwest. Comprised of four battleships, eight cruisers, and 12 destroyers, Vice Adm. Takeo Kurita's Center Force steadily closed and at 0638 opened fire on "Taffy 3".

So began the Battle off Samar—one of the most memorable engagements in U.S. naval history. Outnumber red aurl outgunned, the relatively slow ships of "Taff 3" seemed fated for disaster, but they defied the odds and gamely accepted the enemy's challenge.

St.Lo accelerated to flank speed: and, despite fire from enemy cruisers, she launched her planes ordering the pilots "to attack the Japanese task force and proceed to Tacloban airstrip, I,Leyte, to rearm and refuel. As salvos fell "with disconcerting rapidity" increasingly nearer St. Lo, her planes, striking the enemy force with bombs, rocL-ets, and gunfire, inflicted heavy damage on the closing ships.

By 0800 the enemy cruisers, which were steaming off her port quarter, closed to within 18,000 yards. St. Lo gamely responded to their salvos with rapid fire from her single 5-inch gun.

At 0830 five enemy destroyers steamed over the horizon off her starboard quarter. The closing ships opened fire from about 14,500 yards; and, as screening ships engaged the cruisers and laid down concealing smoke, St.Lo shifted her fire and for the next hour traded shots with the gulls of Japan's Destroyer Squadron 10. Many salvos explodes close aboard or passed directly overhead.

Under heavy attack from the air and harassed by incessant fire from American destroyers and destroyer escorts the enemy cruisers brokeoff action and turned northward at 0920. At 0915 the enemy destroyers, which were kept at bay by the daring and almost singlehanded exploits of Jol/n~ton (Dl)-5.57), launched n premature torpedo attack from 10,500 yards. As the torpedoes approached the escort carriers, they slowed down. An Avenger torpedo-bomber from St. Lo strafed and exploded two approaching torpedoes and a shell from her 5-inch gun deflected a third from a collision course with her stern.

At about 0930, as the enemy ships fired parting salvos and reversed course northward, St.L,o scored a direct hit amidships on a retreating destroyer. Five minutes Inter she ceased fire and retired southward with the surviving ships of "Taffy 3".

At 1050 the task unit came under a concentrated air attack; and during the 40 minute battle with enemy suicide planes, all escort carriers but Fanshaw Bay (CVe~ 70) were damaged. One plane crashed through St. Lo's flight deck, at 1051, and exploded her torpedo and bomb magazine, mortally wounding the gallant carrier. Lo was engulfed in flame and sank half an hour later, leaving a cloud of dense black smoke to mark her watery grave.

St. Lo received the Presidential Unit Citation for the heroism of her crew in the Battle off Samar and four battle stars for World War II service.


USS Midway was commissioned Oct. 23, 1943. After her initial shakedown, the ship went on a couple of ferrying runs throughout the Pacific. In June, she joined the fleet for operations in the Marianas. She was a part of the air strikes against Saipan in mid-June. In July, she participated in the air bombardment of Tinian. In September, she did much the same thing for the Morotai island invasion. During a respite in Seeadler Harbor, the ship got word that her group was to be renamed St. Lo, in honor of a key victory in the European ground campaign.

The newly named St. Lo was sent out for the Battle of the Philippines as part of Taffy 3. This group of ships was to provide air coverage of Leyte and Samar Islands. The Battle off Samar began when a St. Lo pilot spotted a very large Japanese force headed directly towards the group. The group of ships was heavily outgunned but continued making strikes against the enemy.

The battle ended with the Japanese moving off. But they sent back kamikaze planes. One struck the flight deck of St. Lo and penetrated to the hangar deck. The explosion caused a massive gas fire. The damage caused the carrier to sink within a half an hour. Out of 889 on board, 143 lost their lives.

Radar gave the U.S. forces a huge advantage.

A torpedoed Japanese destroyer photographed through the periscope of the U.S.S. Wahoo.

In addition to naval codebreaking that gave Admiral Chester Nimitz advance warning of Japan’s plan of attack, the U.S. fleet benefited from another key technological advance at Midway: radar. The U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) had developed the first radar system prototype by 1938, and early radar systems were placed aboard carriers and other ships leading up to the Pearl Harbor attack.

At Midway, all three U.S. carriers and some supporting vessels benefited from radar, which allowed them to detect approaching Japanese aircraft at long range and better prepare for their attacks. In contrast, the Japanese ships relied solely on human lookouts, allowing U.S. dive-bombers to remain undetected until virtually the moment they reached attack position.

With the advent of heavier-than-air flight, the aircraft carrier has become a decisive weapon at sea. The effectiveness of large aircraft carriers was demonstrated early in the war, when dozens of Japanese fighters and bombers, launched from aircraft carriers, decimated the U.S Pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii in late 1941. In May of 1942, aircraft from Japanese and U.S carriers battled at the Coral Sea, the first naval conflict where the opposing ships did not make contact. This battle resulted in the sinking of the Lexington. The Japanese Navy also took heavy losses, most notably at the Battle of Midway in June 1942. There they lost four carriers and hundreds of airplanes&mdashits naval power declined steadily after that. By contrast, ship production in the U.S accelerated dramatically in 1944 and 1945, when dozens of aircraft carriers (and other ships) were completed. Most came too late to make a major difference in the war, and many ships on order were cancelled at the end of the war in mid-1945.

USS LANGLEY (CV-1) - Sunk on February 22, 1942. It seems almost fitting that the first U.S. Navy carrier was the first to be sunk in World War II. LANGLEY had originally been a collier but was converted to a carrier in March of 1922. She was the test carrier from which all U.S. Navy carriers came. She was sunk 75 miles off of Tjilapjap, Java. Three waves of nine Aichi D3A1 "Val" dive bombers of the Japanese 21st and 23rd Naval Air Flotillas attacked her. She was struck by 5 bomb hits, she was badly damaged, and took a 10 degree list. She was abandoned due to her desparate situation and she had to be scuttled by her US destroyers escorts with nine 4 in (100 mm) shells and two torpedoes. She was just one of the many victims of the Battle of the Java Sea. 16 of her men went to the bottom with her.

The U.S. seaplane tender USS Langley (AV-3) is torpedoed following fatal bomb damage from Japanese dive bombers, south of Java, 27 February 1942. The photo was taken from the destroyer USS Whipple (DD-217) [Via Wikipedia]

USS LEXINGTON (CV-2) - Sunk May 8, 1942. She was torpedoed by Japanese B5Ns and hit by Japanese D3As during the Battle of the Coral Sea. The great aircraft carrier seemed to stay steady after being struck by two torpedoes and two bombs. The crew managed to get the fires under control and all seemed to be well. Suddenly, a series of explosions ripped through the ship when the vapers of her fuel supply ignited. The ship was abandoned in late afternoon, and the USS Destroyer Phelps was ordered to sink the ship and fired a total of five torpedoes. Immediately after the last torpedo hit, Lexington, down by the bow but nearly on an even keel finally sank. Some 216 crewmen were killed and 2,735 were evacuated. Thus ended the career of one of the most remarkable aircraft carriers in the U.S. Navy. She was nicknamed "Lady Lex".

The U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Lexington (CV-2), burning and sinking after her crew abandoned ship during the Battle of Coral Sea, 8 May 1942. Note planes parked aft, where fires have not yet reached [Via Wikipedia]

USS YORKTOWN (CV-5) - Sunk June 8, 1942. Bombed and torpedoed during the Battle of Midway. On June 4, the Yorktown was bombarded twice by Japanese "Vals" and torpedoed by Japanese "Kates" operating off of the Japanese aircraft carrier Hiryu. (the only surviving Japanese carrier of four, but it was also sunk that day) During the first attack she was struck by 5 bombs. During the second attack, however, two torpedoes found their mark, seriously damaging the carrier. The crew was evacuated by order of Captain Buckmaster but the carrier did not go down. She began to drift and a recovery team was able to board her on June 5, but she was not to be saved. They had a carefully predetermined plan of action to be carried out by men from each department&mdashdamage control, gunnery air engineering, navigation, communication, supply and medical. To assist in the work, USS Hammann was brought alongside to starboard, aft, furnishing pumps and electric power. Unknown to Yorktown and the six nearby destroyers, Japanese submarine I-168 had achieved a favorable firing position. The Yorktown was finished off on June 8 when struck by 3 of 4 torpedoes fired by the Japanese submarine. The destroyer USS Hammann, which was providing power to the crippled carrier, was struck by the 4th torpedo and was lost with virtually all hands.

USS Yorktown (CV-5) is hit on the port side, amidships, by a Japanese Type 91 aerial torpedo during the mid-afternoon attack by planes from the carrier Hiryu, in the Battle of Midway, on 4 June, 1942. Yorktown is heeling to port and is seen at a different aspect than in other views taken by USS Pensacola (CA-24), indicating that this is the second of the two torpedo hits she received. Note very heavy anti-aircraft fire [Via Wikipedia]

USS WASP (CV-7) - Sunk September 15, 1942. Torpedoed during the Battle of Guadalcanal. A spread of six Type 95 torpedoes were fired at Wasp from the tubes of the B1 Type submarine I-19. Wasp put over her rudder hard to starboard to avoid the salvo, but it was too late.The carrier was hit by 2 torpedoes fired from the Japanese submarine. The fire spread quickly and got out of control. After little more than an hour she had to be abandoned. She continued to burn for 3 hours and was eventually sunk by U.S. destroyer Lansdowne. 193 men had died and 366 were wounded during the attack. All but one of her 26 airborne aircraft made a safe trip to carrier Hornet nearby before Wasp sank, but 45 aircraft went down with the ship. Other US destroyers kept I-19 busy avoiding 80 depth charges, but I-19 escaped safely.

The U.S. aircraft carrier USS Wasp (CV-7) burning after receiving three torpedo hits from the Japanese submarine I-19 east of the Solomons, 15 September 1942 [Via Wikipedia]

USS HORNET (CV-8) - Sunk October 26, 1942. Torpedoed during the Battle of Santa Cruz in the Solomon Islands. She was struck by 2 torpedoes launched by Nakajima B5N "Kate" torpedo planes, which seriously damaged the electrical systems and engines. At almost the same moment a pilot of a crippled Aichi D3A "Val" dive bomber became one of the first Kamikaze of the war when the pilot deliberately crashed into Hornet's port side near the bow. With power knocked out to her engines, Hornet was unable to launch or land aircraft forcing its aviators to either land on Enterprise or ditch in the ocean. Her fires were under control and repair crews were on the verge of restoring power, but there was an new attack by nine Japanese Nakajima B5N "Kate" torpedo planes from the carrier Junyo. Eight of these aircraft were either shot down or failed to score hits but the ninth planted a torpedo into Hornet's starboard side which proved to be the fatal blow. The torpedo hit destroyed the repairs to the electrical system and caused a 14 degree list. She was damaged her beyond repair. After being informed that Japanese surface forces were approaching and that further towing efforts were futile, Vice Admiral William Halsey ordered Hornet sunk, and an order of "abandon ship" was issued. In the afternoon the crew was taken off. But the final "coup de grace" was administered later in the day by The Japanese destroyers, Makigumo and Akigumo, which finally finished off Hornet with four 24-inch (610 mm) Long Lance torpedoes. On 27 October, Hornet was finally sunk with the loss of 140 of her sailors.

Hornet, severely listing, is abandoned by her crew at about 17:00 on October 26, 1942 [Via Wikipedia]

USS PRINCETON (CVL-23) - Sunk October 23, 1944. Bombed during the Battle of Leyte Gulf near the Philippines. A highly skilled, lone Japanese pilot placed a bomb squarely between 6 armed torpedo bombers being readied for takeoff on the flight deck. The Yokosuka D4Y 'Judy' dive bomber dropped a single bomb, which struck the carrier between the elevators, punching through the flight deck and hangar before exploding. Although structural damage was minor, a fire broke out as a result of the hit it quickly spread due to burning gasoline and caused further explosions. Cruisers and destroyers came alongside to provide assistance. USS Irwin (DD-794) approached and attempted to fight the fire in the forward section of the hangar deck. The cruiser USS Birmingham (CL-62), being the largest ship (and sharing the same light cruiser hull as the Princeton) took the lead role in fire fighting. The rough seas caused the Princeton to collide with and damage the assisting ships. PRINCETON crews fought to save the ship, but by mid-afternoon, fires reached the torpedo storage areas and a second and larger explosion shook the Princeton. The Birmingham suffered extensive damage and the carrier had to be abandoned. Irwin was also damaged, but stayed close and launched boats to rescue survivors from the sea. Irwin rescued .Princeton.Three minutes later an even larger explosion occurred on Princeton, destroying the entire forward section and sending flames and debris up to 1000&ndash2000 feet into the air.

USS Birmingham (CL-62) comes alongside the burning USS Princeton (CVL-23) to assist with fire fighting, 24 October 1944 [Via Wikipedia]

USS LISCOMB BAY (CVE-56) - Sunk November 24, 1943. Torpedoed off of the Gilbert Islands during Operation Galvanic. At 5 A.M. two torpedoes launched from the Japanese submarine I-175 struck almost simultaneously. At least one struck abaft the after engine room, near the bomb stowage compartment and this meant that every bomb there exploded simultaneously. Men, planes and fragments of steel from the ship went high in the air. So high that the USS NEW MEXICO, which was traveling nearly a mile behind her, was showered with everything from plating to pieces of bodies and clothing. The whole after portion of the ship vanished. Immediately the ship was aflame from bow to stern, and one blast followed another as some bit of explosive or gasoline was found by the fires. All together 217 men were rescued. 591 enlisted men and 53 officers went down with the ship. Third Class Dorie Miller, the first black sailor to win the Navy Cross for his actions during the Pearl Harbor attack was killed aboard this ship. Of the 916 crewmen, only 272 were rescued by Morris, Hughes and Hull. The culprit, Japanese submarine I-175, escaped.

Burial at sea aboard the Leonard Wood of twoLiscome Bay sailors, victims of the submarine attack by I-175. Foreground facing ceremony are survivors ofLiscome Bay. Ship in background is Neville carrying remainder of the survivors [Via Wikipedia]

USS BLOCK ISLAND (CVE-21) - Sunk May 29, 1944. Torpedoed off the Canary Islands at 20:13 on 29 May 1944. U-549 had slipped undetected through her screen. The submarine put three torpedoes into the carrier before being sunk herself by Eugene E. Elmore and Ahrens of the screen. The carrier lost 6 men in the attack the remaining 951 were picked up by the escort screen.

USS Block Island (CVE-21) shortly after leaving Norfolk, October 15, 1943, on her first anti-submarine cruise, with aircraft from Composite Squadron 1 (VC-1) on deck&mdash9 FM-1 Wildcats (forward) and 12 TBF-1C Avengers [Via Wikipedia]

USS GAMBIER BAY (CVE-73) - Sunk October 25, 1944. Sunk by naval gunfire off of the Philippines during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. A small band of "jeep carriers" of "Taffy 3" came up against a much larger task force of Japanese ships, the still dangerous Center Force&mdashconsisting of four battleships, six heavy cruisers, two light cruisers and 11 destroyers. Leyte was hardly a carrier battle, but the stand of the "jeep carriers" off of Samar showed how much punishment the little ships could take. Their air groups were armed for softening up beach obstacles and strongpoints, not battleships and heavy cruisers, but their pilots made dummy runs at the Japanese ships. Gambier Bay was fired on and hit by multiple Japanese ships. Gambier Bay&primes lone 5 in (130 mm) gun fired at an enemy cruiser that was shelling her, and the destroyers Heermann and Johnston made an unsuccessful effort to save her. Gambier Bay on fire. Around 08:20, Gambier Bay was severely damaged by an 8 in (200 mm) shell from the Japanese Heavy Cruiser Chikuma which flooded her forward engine room, cutting her speed in half. Gambier Bay was soon dead in the water. Gambier Bay and other ships of "Taffy 3"&mdashaided by planes of "Taffy 2"&mdashhad stopped the powerful Japanese Center Force and inflicted significant losses. Two enemy cruisers were sunk, and much damage was inflicted on the other ships. Overall, the overwhelmingly powerful Japanese surface fleet had been turned back by the escort carriers and their screen of destroyers and destroyer escorts.

Gambier Bay (CVE-73) under Japanese fire during the Battle of Samar. The smudge in the upper right corner is a Japanese heavy cruiser [Via Wikipedia]

USS ST LO (CVE-63) - Sunk October 25, 1944. Bombed during the Battle of Leyte Gulf off of Samar Island, Philippines. St. Lo was sunk the same day as the Gambier Bay. At 10:47, the task unit came under a concentrated air attack by the Shikishima Special Attack Unit. During the 40&ndashminute engagement with enemy kamikazes, all the escort carriers except Fanshaw Bay were damaged. One Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero&mdashperhaps flown by Lieutenant Yukio Seki&mdashcrashed into the flight deck of St. Lo at 10:51. Its bomb penetrated the flight deck and exploded on the port side of the hangar deck, where aircraft were in the process of being refueled and rearmed. A gasoline fire erupted, followed by six secondary explosions, including detonations of the ship's torpedo and bomb magazine. St. Lo was engulfed in flame and sank 30 minutes later. Of the 889 men aboard, 113 were killed or missing and approximately 30 others died of their wounds. The survivors were rescued from the water by Heermann, John C. Butler, Raymond, and Dennis. It was a terrible day for the U.S. Navy.

The first major explosion following the impact of the Kamikaze aircraft has created a fireball that has risen to about 300 feet above the flight deck. The largest object above that fireball is the aft aircraft elevator, which was hurled to a height of about 1,000 feet by this first explosion. In this photo it is about 800 feet high [Via Wikipedia]

USS OMMANEY BAY (CVE-79) - Sunk January 4, 1945. Sunk by a Kamikaze off of Mindoro, Philippines. A twin-engine Japanese suicide plane penetrated the screen undetected and made for Ommaney Bay. The plane nicked her island then crashed into her starboard side. Two bombs were released one of them penetrated the flight deck and detonated below, setting off a series of explosions among the fully gassed planes on the forward third of the hangar deck. The second bomb passed through the hangar deck, ruptured the fire main on the second deck, and exploded near the starboard side. Men struggling with the terrific blazes on the hangar deck soon had to abandon it because of the heavy black smoke from the burning planes and exploding .50 caliber ammunition. By 17:50 the entire topside area had become untenable, and the stored torpedo warheads threatened to go off at any time. The order to abandon ship was given. At 19:45 the carrier was sunk by a torpedo from the destroyer Burns. A total of 95 Navy men were lost, including two killed on an assisting destroyer when torpedo warheads on the carrier's hangar deck finally went off.

USS Ommaney Bay (CVE-79) (right) under attack [Via Wikipedia]

USS BISMARK SEA (CVE-95) - Sunk February 21, 1945. On 16 February, she arrived off Iwo Jima to support the invasion. Struck by two Kamikazes off of Iwo Jima. The planes set off uncontrollable fires and exploding ammunition. Two Japanese kamikazes hit the Bismarck Sea, first on the starboard side under the first 40 mm gun (aft), crashing through the hangar deck and striking the ship's magazines. The fire was nearly under control when the second plane struck the aft elevator shaft, exploding on impact and destroying the fire fighting salt water distribution system, thus preventing any further damage control. Due to the great explosions the ship was abandoned and sank beneath the waves in 90 minutes. The USS Bismarck Sea sank with the loss of 318 men, and was the last US Navy aircraft carrier to be lost during World War II. Three destroyers and three destroyer escorts rescued survivors over the next 12 hours, between them saving a total of 605 officers and men from her crew of 923. Survivors were then transferred to Dickens and Highlands.

Large explosion on board USS Bismarck Sea (CVE-95) during the night of February 21, 1945. She was struck by two Kamikazes within two minutes of each other, while she was taking part in the Iwo Jima operation. She sank as a result of her damage. Photographed from USS Saginaw Bay (CVE-82) [Via Wikipedia]

Midway II CVE-63 - History


CAPT Francis J. McKenna, USN, Commanding Officer

Prior to entering the protective rain squall, SAINT LO also came under intense gunfire from the battleships. Upon exiting the rain squall on the task unit's run to the south, she was nearest the Japanese until a new course change placed her on the unengaged starboard side, furthest from the enemy heavy cruisers and battleships. Her new position within the task unit enabled her to survive the surface action with relatively little damage. However, about ninety minutes after the surface action had concluded, Taffy III was set upon by kamikaze aircraft. SAINT LO was chosen as a primary target and a bomb-lain "Zeke 52" suicide plane crashed through her flight deck with catastrophic results. Powerful internal explosions followed and about 30 minutes later, SAINT LO sank into the Philippine Trench, the second CVE of Taffy III to be lost that day.

Crew List
Action Report
Call-sign DERBY
Displacement 7,800 tons
Length 512 feet 3 inches
Beam 65 feet
Draft 22 feet 6 inches
Flight Deck 498 x 108 feet
Speed 18 knots
Complement 54 Officers
741 Enlisted
Aircraft 18 FM-2 General Motors fighters
12 TBM-1C General Motors torpedo bombers
Armament 1 5-inch GP gun
8 twin 40mm AA guns
20 20mm AA guns
Laid Down 23 January 1943
Launched 17 August 1943
Commissioned 23 October 1943

Namesake Information

SAINT LO was named for a decisive American victory in France when the town of heavily fortified Saint Lo, France was captured on 18 July 1944.

SAINT LO was originally named MIDWAY. The second ship to bear this name, MIDWAY was laid down as CHOPIN BAY on January 23, 1943 renamed MIDWAY on April 3, 1943, and was launched on August 17, 1943. She was sponsored by Mrs. Howard Nixon Cutler and commissioned on October 23, 1943 with Captain F. J. McKenna in command. Composite Squadron VC-65, commanded by LCDR R. M. Jones, consisted of 18 FM-2 Wildcat fighters and 12 TBM-1C Avenger torpedo bombers.

First Duties

After shakedown on the west coast and two voyages to Pearl Harbor and one to Australia carrying replacement aircraft, MIDWAY joined RADM Bogan's Carrier Support Group 1 in June 1944 for the conquest of the Marianas.


Saipan - 15 through 22 June 1944

MIDWAY furnished air coverage for transports and participated in strikes on Saipan on June 15, 1944. She then joined the attack on Tinian on July 23 where she furnished air support for ground forces and maintained an anti-submarine patrol.

On September 13 she sortied for the invasion of Morotai. Catapulting her first plane to support the landings on September 15, she continued to assist American troops ashore and to provide cover for the transports through the 23rd.


After a refueling period MIDWAY resumed air operations in the Palaus until returning to Seeadler Harbor on October 3rd. Word then arrived that the escort carrier had been renamed SAINT LO on October 10, to free the name MIDWAY for a new giant attack carrier and to commemorate an important victory of American troops in France, who had captured the strongly defended town of Saint Lo on July 18, 1944.

Leyte/Samar - 17 October through 25 October 1944

Newly renamed SAINT LO departed Seeadler Harbor on October 12 to participate in the liberation of the Philippines, where she arrived on October 17th. After furnishing air support during landings by Ranger units on Dinagat and Homonhon Islands in the eastern approached to Leyte Gulf, she launched air strikes in support of invasion operations at Tacloban on the northeast coast of Leyte. Operating with RADM C.A.F. "Ziggy" Sprague's escort carrier unit "Taffy 3", which consisted of six escort carriers and a screen of three destroyers and four destroyer escorts, SAINT LO steamed off the east coast of Leyte and Samar as her planes sortied from October 18 to 24, destroying enemy installations and airfields on Leyte, Samar, Cebu, Negros, and Panoy Islands.

Steaming about 60 miles east of Samar before dawn on October 25, Taffy 3 had launched the day's initial air strikes by 0530. At 0637 RADM sprague, aboard flagship FANSHAW BAY, received word that a large Japanese fleet was approaching from the northwest. Comprised of four battleships, eight cruisers, and eleven destroyers, Vice Admiral Takeo Kurita's IJN Centre Force steadily closed the unsuspecting Americans and at 0658 opened fire on the ships of Taffy 3.

So began the Battle Off Samar, one of the most memorable engagements in U.S. Naval history. Outnumbered and outgunned, the relatively slow ships of Taffy 3 seemed fated for disaster, but they defied the odds and gamely accepted the enemy's challenge.

Partial credit for sighting the Japanese fleet went to SAINT LO's Composite Squadron VC-65. The initial contact report is summarized in her Action Report. "0650 - An LASP plane from the SAINT LO piloted by Ensign Bill Brooks of VC-65 reported contact with a Japanese Surface Force bearing 330 degrees twenty to thirty miles from Task Unit 77.4.3. This report was made to Commander Task Unit 77.4.3. The Japanese Force was estimated by Ensign Brooks as consisting of four BB (battleships), four CA (heavy cruisers), two CL (light cruisers) and ten to twelve DD (destroyers). Almost immediately thereafter visual contact was made from the signal and open bridges. General Quarters was sounded on the first report of contact. Although visibility was very poor, the pagoda-like masts of the BBs could be seen astern. The unit course was 090 degrees. Shortly thereafter the first report from CIC gave the force at "30,000 Closing". C.T.U. 77.4.3 ordered all aircraft launched immediately for attack."

Under fire and fleeing, the six escort carriers took the brunt of the heavy caliber fire. "0658 - The splashes of the first salvoes were observed. The WHITE PLAINS was under fire. At least three salvoes were observed. Two straddled the WHITE PLAINS and one was short. The splashes of the exploding shells were dye-marked red, blue, yellow, etc. At least three salvoes were observed short of the FANSHAW BAY."

SAINT LO immediately launched her planes ordering the pilots to attack the Japanese task force and to proceed to Tacloban airstrip, Leyte, to rearm and refuel. Four Avenger torpedo bombers and fifteen FM-2 Wildcat fighters were prepared and launched during this period. all from within a driving rain squall. During the launching the range of the enemy main body closed rapidly to 25,000 yards and on down to 22,000. Main battery salvoes from both the battleships and heavy cruisers had continued to land among th fleeing CVEs. As salvoes fell ". with disconcerting rapidity. " increasingly nearer the SAINT LO, the aircraft of VC-65 went aloft and inflected heavy damage on the closing enemy warships.

SAINT LO's Action Report continues. "0816 to 0910 - During this period the entire formation was under particularly continuous fire. At about 0820, the GAMBIER BAY reported being heavily hit, and that she had lost one engine. She rapidly dropped aft and was not seen again. About this time the ships of the screen were ordered to shift from the starboard to port side of the formation. The HOEL was observed to drop back and was not seen again. The group of Jap ships, off the starboard quarter now, believed to consist of one CL and eight DD was observed still closing. About 0830 the KALININ BAY turned quite sharply right passing aster of the SAINT LO and then came back to course, after shifting from the port to the starboard quarter of the ST LO. Units of the Jap Force were reported at various ranges. The closest reported range was 6900 yards off the starboard quarter at about 0844 - other reported positions at this time were 090, 9400 yards 115, 11,000 yards. At 0851, 085, 10,100 yards 025, 12,500 yards. A VHF report was received at 0851 that a cruiser had taken a fish on the bow."

At 0830 five enemy destroyers opened fire from about 14,500 yards. As the screening ships engaged the heavy cruisers and laid down a concealing smoke screen, SAINT LO shifted her fire and for the next hour traded shots with guns of Japan's Destroyer Squadron 10.

At 0858 two Jap ships could be seen off the port beam. They were reported bearing 134 degrees, 10,400 yards. During this time the group on the starboard quarter had closed to 6,900 yards, nearly point-blank range. Considerable fire from that direction was noted, presumably from 4.7" guns. From the splashes, it appeared that KALININ BAY was their primary target, with SAINT LO also receiving considerable attention. The SAINT LO was repeatedly straddled particularly around 0900 by 4.7" gunfire coming from a ship, or ships, which had closed, under cover of smoke, on her port quarter.

Under heavy attack from task unit composite squadrons and harnessed by incessant fire from American destroyers and destroyer escorts, the enemy cruisers broke off action and turned northward at 0920. The surface action of the Battle Off Samar had concluded.

About four minutes later, an Avenger torpedo bomber of SAINT LO's VC-65, piloted by LT Waldrop, called and reported a torpedo approaching from the port beam, also many torpedoes approaching from the starboard quarter. Shortly thereafter a number of them were sighed from the ship and apparently nearing the end of their run, were porposing near the surface. LT Waldrop strafed one which exploded in the wake of the KALININ BAY, another exploded a short distance on the port quarter. The wakes were numerous and both SAINT LO and KALININ BAY brought their 40mm and 20mm AA guns to bear. no success was obtained. The ship was also maneuvered to parallel the wakes as closely as possible.

With the main surface action complete, the task unit continued southward, placing as much distance between themselves and the Japanese as possible.

Loss of SAINT LO (CVE 63)

At 1010, about forty minutes after the surface action had concluded, the ship secured from General Quarters. Ten minutes later condition watches were set and personnel were allowed to get coffee and a chance to relax. Relatively undamaged from the surface action, SAINT LO took aboard several aircraft from the other CVEs. All planes were struck below to clear the flight deck for further landings and also to expedite refueling and rearming three of the torpedo bombers with torpedoes.

At about 1051 AA fire was seen and heard forward and General Quarters was sounded. Almost immediately thereafter, number planes, believed to include both friendly and enemy, were seen at 1000 to 3000 feet ahead and on the starboard bow. These planes moved aft to starboard and one of them, when about abeam to starboard, went into a right turn toward the SAINT LO. The after starboard guns opened on him, but with no apparent effect. A "Zeke 52" with a bomb under each wing continued its right turn on its suicide run against the SAINT LO.

Approaching the ramp at very high speed, the "Zeke 52" crossed over the aft end of the ship at less than fifty feet. He appeared to push over sufficiently to hit the deck at about the "number 5 wire", fifteen feet to the port side of the center line. A tremendous crash followed quickly followed by an explosion as one or both of the enemy s bombs exploded. The aircraft continued up the deck leaving fragments strewed about and its remanents went over the bow.

The Captains first impression was that no serious damage had been suffered. There was a hole in the flight deck with smoldering edges which sprang into flame. Hoses were immediately run out from both sides of the flight deck and water started on the fire. smoke soon appeared on both sides of the ship, evidently coming from the hangar. Within one to one and one-half minutes an explosion occurred on the hangar deck, which puffed smoke and flame through the hole in the deck and bulged the flight deck near and aft of the hole. This was followed in a matter of seconds by a much more violent explosion, which rolled back a part of the flight deck bursting through aft of the original hole. The next heavy explosion tore out more of the flight deck and also blew the forward elevator out of its shaft. Shortly before 1100, the Captain decided that the ship could not be saved.

SAINT LO, with a very heavy list to port, sank at about 1125. The remaining screening ships of Taffy 3 were dispatched and rescued all of the survivors.

USS SAINT LO (CVE 63) received the Presidential Unit Citation for the heroism of her crew in the Battle Off Samar and four Battle Stars for her service in World War II.

Luring out American carriers

The Battle of Midway was an attempt by the Japanese Navy to lure out and destroy the remaining American carriers, effectively ensuring Japanese control of the Pacific.

At the time, all of the US Pacific Fleet's battleships had either been sunk or put out of action by the attack on Pearl Harbor, and the British Royal Navy had been dealt a devastating blow when the battleship Prince of Wales and battlecruiser Repulse were sunk a few days later.

The only thing standing between the Allies and the Japanese Navy were the American aircraft carriers, which, by chance, weren't at Pearl Harbor during the attack.

Those carriers quickly proved their worth.

On April 18, the Doolittle Raid bombers took off from American carriers and struck Tokyo, causing little overall damage but delivering a morale boost and a warning to Japan.

About a month later, two American carriers at the Battle of the Coral Sea fended off an invasion of Port Moresby, though at the cost of one carrier sunk and one damaged.

The Japanese sent a massive invasion force to Midway, including six carriers, seven battleships, 10 submarines, 15 cruisers, and 42 destroyers. At its heart were the four fleet carriers and their escorts, which were supposed to destroy the US carriers and clear the way for the invasion.

But the battle proved to be a disaster for the Japanese, and Midway remained in American hands.

USS Midway (CVE-63), which was an escort carrier commissioned in 1943, renamed St. Lo one year later, and sunk during the Battle of Leyte Gulf shortly afterward. USS Midway (CV-41), which is an aircraft carrier commissioned in 1945 and decommissioned in 1992.

USS Hornet (CV-8), the seventh U.S. Navy vessel of that name, was a Yorktown-class aircraft carrier of the United States Navy….USS Hornet (CV-8)

United States
Fate: Sunk in the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands, 27 October 1942
Status: Found near Solomon Islands, late January 2019
Notes: Last U.S. fleet carrier lost in action

Midway Before and After

The modern history of Midway atoll includes its commercial uses and post-war reversion of a natural state resulting in its designation as a National Wildlife Refuge.

As a historical and natural interpreter for many years, I find one of the most fascinating aspects of history is that our understanding of the past always changes over time. New evidence comes to light (excavations reveal old burial sites, etc.) and sometimes our understanding changes not because the facts do, but because the times we live through change our perceptions. Currently, we are reminded that human efforts spring forth, then fade, possibly to live again, possibly in a greatly-to-slightly changed format.

Long ago battlefields, even crucial ones, of the ancient and medieval world have returned to either their natural state or have found new human purpose as farms, or been subsumed beneath the expansion of towns and cities. Few WWII sites embody that transition from critical strategic site to natural area like Midway Island National Wildlife Refuge. The area that featured so prominently in the turnaround of the Pacific war is in many ways returning to a pre-war state. The US Fish and Wildlife Service (for whom I was once an interpretive ranger) helped provide information about Midway—today. Midway, the furthest western point of the Hawaiian archipelago, is and has been a stopping point for flyers since time immemorial.

In the years immediately prewar, it was a stopover refueling site for Pan-American Airlines famous “Pacific Clipper” aircraft. The strategic value of runways and facilities enticed Japanese interest, leading to the famous battle of June 4-7, 1942. But Pan American aircraft weren’t the only flyers using the island.

One of the birds that use Midway for resting and nesting is as accomplished a flyer as the “clipper” airplanes were. Laysan albatross use their 10-11 foot wingspan to soar for many miles over the ocean, seeking fish. Three quarters of all the Laysan Albatross in the world use Midway for nesting.

Note that there is no one island actually called Midway.

Midway is the name of the atoll, which is comprised of three main islands, Sand, Spit, and Eastern as well as smaller ones. Atolls form as oceanic volcanoes erupt and grow above the water line, then erode to sea level. In the case of Midway, that process began 28 million years ago, making it the second oldest of the Hawaiian chain. Underwater coral reefs ring the eroding mountain, which can leave a few islands behind as high ground. The coral ring remains, and an atoll is born. It is a beautiful place, mostly flat sandy islands, full of seabirds—hundreds of thousands, maybe millions.

Their eggs, flesh, and guano drew interest after the islands were first seen by modern sailors in 1859. And later settlers’ families also harvested seal and turtle meat.

In 1903, Midway was placed under Naval control by Teddy Roosevelt as he had placed our first National Parks—Yosemite and Yellowstone—under Army jurisdiction. In 1909, Midway was included in the Hawaiian Islands Reservation for Protection of Native Birds. Now came the first permanent settlers, the Commerical Pacific Cable Company, appointed custodians of Midway by the Navy. Midway was integral to the first transglobal cable, and message. On July 4, 1903 “Happy Independence Day to America, her territories and possessions” took nine minutes to circle the world. The company had significant impact on the atoll, including the introduction of non-native species. The islands would soon change again. In 1935, Pan American World Airways set up an airbase, including a 45 room hotel with a pool for once a week Pacific Clipper seaplane servicing, including a 45 room hotel. No airplane could traverse the Pacific without a layover at that time.

The terminal. Photo courtesy of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Pan Am Pacific Clipper. Photo courtesy of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

The hotel. Photo courtesy of the US Fish and Wildlife Service

All these peacetime enterprises came to a halt as war loomed. Midway’s strategic significance was not lost to either American or Japanese planners. Both considered what a conflict with the other might entail. In 1938, the Navy began dredging a channel between Eastern and Sand islands, and constructed an air base on Eastern Island and sub and seaplane facilities on Sand. In June 1942, the war came to Midway. You can learn much, much more about the Battle for Midway through our Museum’s online offerings, and in our exhibit galleries, but suffice to say it took brains, brawn, courage, and incredible luck and timing to pull off the American victory.

In 2000, the Battle of Midway National Memorial designation was bestowed on the area “so that the heroic courage and sacrifice of those who fought against overwhelming odds to win an incredible victory will never be forgotten…” WWII remnants remain. Old ammunition magazines, a pillbox, and gun emplacements on Sand Island comprise a National Historic Landmark.

Midway sites on the National Register of Historic Places include the cable company buildings, Marine barracks, seaplane hangar and ramps, torpedo shops, radar buildings, and Eastern island runways. Human commercial interest in the area has, for now, died down. And, if not radically changed by human activity, nature returns. Seventy five percent of all Laysan albatross nest here—the largest colony on the planet.

These amazing birds fly seven to 10 days away from their nest to collect fish, then return to feed chicks, a round trip of up to 800 miles. And the oldest known wild bird (at 69!) is one of them. But Laysan albatross are not the only birds at Midway. Midway also holds the largest colony of Black-footed albatross.

But Short-Tailed albatross numbers plummeted from an estimated seven million birds to zero with hope for a slow rebuild. The culprit was probably rats, brought to the island on ships. But a more recent threat to the seabird life is garbage.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service estimates over five tons of human garbage is deposited by the ocean annually at Midway. But Midway is also a place of birth and abundance. US Fish and Wildlife Service staff and volunteers make annual trips to the islands for cleanup (bring your umbrella!) The crushing impact of introduced species on bird populations has been mitigated, but always needs monitoring to enable this rebirth of the islands as a home for some of the most magnificent creatures of our planet. In closing, here’s some of the animals that did, and still do, reside at Midway, now that the tide of World War II has washed over the islands.

White tern and chick. Photo courtesy of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Great frigate bird. Photo courtesy of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Black Noddy. Photo courtesy of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Bonin Petrel. Photo courtesy of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Laysan duck. Photo courtesy of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

At one point there were only 11 Laysan ducks left in the world, all on their namesake island, near Midway. Rats, and other introduced creatures (including rabbits!) had taken their toll. Rabbits had destroyed the vegetation they hid in and ate. These birds don’t fly from danger, which historically had only been frigatebirds. They freeze in the grass—not much help against ground predators, and if the grass is gone—oops! This story reminds us that any creature only following one way of life can become endangered or even extinct if circumstances change. The rabbits, of course, overconsumed their resources and starved, the remainders were eradicated, and by the 1950s the ducks had recovered to about 500. In the early years of this century, some were moved to Midway, thrived, and have improved the chances the duck will survive into the future. Highly endangered Hawaiian monk seals are Midway’s only indigenous mammals.

The seals, in small numbers but critical to species recovery, show the value of refuges in helping endangered species recover. Green sea turtles use the now quiet beaches for nesting.

Below the waterline, can still be found coral reef habitats, but human impact, whether from important wartime functions which have evolved at Midway, or floating in from who knows where, require willing hands to help Midway’s return to its natural state.

Reef denizens. Photo courtesy of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Midway garbage. Photo courtesy of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Coast guard. Photo courtesy of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Volunteers. Photo courtesy of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

The best way to close this is to honor volunteerism. Whether at Midway National Wildlife Refuge or at The National WWII Museum, whether during challenging or “normal” times, the desire to simply “help the cause” drives widely varied people to give their time.

If you find yourself in New Orleans, contact the Museum’s volunteer office to explore how you might help.

Walt Burgoyne

Walt Burgoyne spent many years as a zoo and park naturalist before joining the Museum's Education Department staff in 2005 post-Katrina. His interdisciplinary, visitor-centered approach to history dialogues with visitors informed his training of the museum's paid and volunteer tour guides and docents for almost 15 years.

Examine the clash of the carriers between Japan and the United States during the Battle of Midway

Japanese forces during the Battle of Midway (June 3-6, 1942) consisted of the Japanese Combined Fleet, commanded by Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku. The Japanese Kido Butai (“Mobile Force”) was commanded by Vice Admiral Nagumo Chuichi and included 4 heavy aircraft carriers, the Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, and Soryu. Japan also had 2 light aircraft carriers, 2 seaplane carriers, 7 battleships, 15 cruisers, 42 destroyers, and 10 submarines.

U.S. forces during the Battle of Midway consisted of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, commanded by Admiral Chester Nimitz, and included 3 heavy aircraft carriers, the USS Hornet , the USS Enterprise , and the USS Yorktown . Task Force 16, commanded by Rear Admiral Raymond Spruance, included the USS Hornet and USS Enterprise carrier battle group. Task Force 17, commanded by Rear Admiral Frank Jack Fletcher, included the USS Yorktown carrier battle group. The United States also had 8 cruisers, 18 destroyers, 19 submarines, and 115 land-based Navy, Marine Corps, and Army Air Forces planes.

Map Description:

Included in the infographic is a map of the battle site in the Pacific Ocean leading up to the battle. The map is centred on Midway, with eastern Asia and Japan on the left and Hawaii on the right. To the west of Midway is a half-circle that indicates the limit of air patrol from Midway.

Various arrows show the paths of Japanese forces:

Traveling from southern Japan to an area west-northwest of Midway was the main body of the 1st Fleet, the Aleutians Screening Force, and the 1st Carrier Strike Force. The 1st Carrier Strike Force then headed southeast toward Midway up to the limit of air patrol.

The main body of Japan’s invasion force traveled from southern Japan eastward toward Midway up to the limit of air patrol.

Traveling from Saipan northeast toward the limit of air patrol around Midway was the Midway Occupation Support Force and the Kure and Midway Occupation forces.

Traveling from Guam northeast toward the limit of air patrol around Midway was the Close Support Force.

Two arrows show the paths of the U.S. forces:

Traveling from Oahu, Hawaii, to an area just north of Midway were Task Force 16 and Task Force 17.

セント・ロー (護衛空母)

燃料および弾薬の補給後、同型艦「ファンショー・ベイ (USS Fanshaw Bay, CVE-70)」と共に第77.1.2任務群(または第77任務部隊第1群第2集団)の基幹としてパラオ諸島の航空作戦に従事する。しかし10月3日、モロタイ島沖で日本軍の潜水艦からの攻撃を受けた。呂41が艦隊に向け4本の魚雷を発射し、ミッドウェイはこれを回避したものの、一発の魚雷が護衛駆逐艦「シェルトン (USS Shelton, DE-407)」 の船尾に命中した。「シェルトン」は曳航されたものの、浸水がひどく途中で撃沈処分された [2] 。

「セント・ローとして」 編集

10月10日にミッドウェイはセント・ローと改名された。この艦名は1944年7月18日にアメリカ軍によって占領されたフランスのサン=ローを記念したもので、「ミッドウェイ」の艦名は建造中の大型空母に与えられることとなった [1] 。

セント・ローはゼーアドラー湾を10月12日に出航し、レイテ島攻略に参加する。上陸部隊の上空支援および支援空爆を命じられ、セント・ローはレイテ島に10月18日到着する。レイテ島北東部のタクロバンに対して地上支援の爆撃を行う。セント・ローはクリフトン・スプレイグ少将率いる「タフィー3 Taffy 3」(第77.4.3任務群)に所属することとなった。同部隊は6隻の護衛空母と、その護衛の駆逐艦3隻、護衛駆逐艦4隻から成るもので、レイテ島東海岸およびサマール島沖で活動する。艦載機部隊は10月18日から24日にかけて編成替えされ、レイテ島およびサマール島の日本軍施設に対し攻撃を行った [1] 。

サマール沖海戦 編集

一連の戦闘でタフィー3は護衛空母「ガンビア・ベイ (USS Gambier Bay, CVE-73)」、駆逐艦「ジョンストン 」「ホーエル (USS Hoel, DD-533)」、護衛駆逐艦「サミュエル・B・ロバーツ (USS Samuel B. Roberts, DE-413)」の4隻を失った。

喪失(神風特別攻撃隊) 編集

10時47分に任務部隊は第1神風特別攻撃隊「敷島隊」の攻撃を受けた。40分にも及ぶ日本の特攻機による攻撃で「ファンショー・ベイ (USS Fanshaw Bay, CVE-70)」を除く全ての護衛空母が被害を受け [1] 、セント・ローは撃沈された。

10時51分に一機の零式艦上戦闘機がセント・ローの飛行甲板に突入した。通説では関行男海軍大尉機とされているが、実際には同艦に突入したのは編隊の4番機であり、隊長として先頭にいたはずの関大尉ではあり得ない(10時49分、「カリニン・ベイ(USS Kalinin Bay, CVE-68)」に突入した機が関大尉機とみられる)、と言われている。同機が搭載していた爆弾はセント・ローの飛行甲板を貫通して爆発、右舷格納庫甲板に火災を生じさせた。火災はガソリンに引火し、セント・ローの格納庫内の航空機の搭載魚雷および爆弾が誘爆したものも含め6度の爆発が生じた。セント・ローは炎に包まれ、30分後に沈没した [4] 。

歴史家セス・パリドン(Seth Paridon)は、セント・ローの元乗員オービル・ベットハード(Orville Bethard)のインタビューをもとに、セント・ローの喪失について次のような記事を作成している [5] 。「ベットハードの見た日本機は突入する直前に爆弾を投下し、飛行甲板を貫通して格納庫甲板で爆発した。突入した機体も同じ位置で爆発し、無防備となっていた格納庫の艦載機や弾薬が誘爆を始めた。魚雷庫が吹き飛ばされ、ベットハード達は避難した。セント・ローは激しい爆発で揺れたが、乗員達は艦を救おうと消火活動に努めた。2度目の爆発が艦全体を揺らし、ほんの数秒でさらに激しい爆発が続き、飛行甲板の一部がめくれ上がった。その次の大爆発が飛行甲板をさらに破壊し、エレベータを吹き飛ばし、セント・ローの命運は決した。艦を放棄する命令を受けたベットハードは艦の右舷から海に滑り落ち、彼が泳いで離れた頃にさらなる爆発が起きて海水が艦内に流れ込んだ。炎に包まれたセント・ローは艦尾から沈み始め、左舷がゆっくりと持ち上がり、ついに転覆して沈没した。セント・ローは特攻攻撃で沈んだ最初の船となったが、残念ながら犠牲となる最後の船ではなかった。」

セント・ローの889人の乗組員の内143名が死亡または行方不明となり、生存者は駆逐艦「ヒーアマン (USS Heermann, DD-532)」、護衛駆逐艦「ジョン・C・バトラー(USS John C. Butler, DE-339)」「レイモンド (USS Raymond, DE-341)」「デニス (USS Dennis, DE-405)」の4隻によって救助され、特に「デニス」は434名を救出し周囲を驚かせた [4] 。

Watch the video: WW2 US Navy Aircraft Carrier USS St. Lo CVE-63 - WW2 USNAVY Portaaviones USS St. Lo CVE-63


  1. Kazishicage

    I agree, a very useful message

  2. Goltinris

    I agree, this is a funny answer.

  3. Kamil

    Today I have read a lot on this subject.

  4. Makora

    It is not joke!

  5. Tojanos

    Shpashib large

Write a message